Prince Charles - (QUOTE):
"The whole of the 20th century has always put the car at the centre. So by putting the pedestrian first, you create these liveable places I think, with more attraction and interest and character ... liveability."
click here to view
Dame Leonie Kramer AC DBE
The Hon Sir Laurence Street AC KCMG
Harold Scruby (Chairman/CEO)
Assoc Professor (Dr) Rob Atkinson - Representing the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Road Trauma Committee - Spokesperson South Australia
David Hope - (Secretary/Treasurer) Formerly Representing Federation of Parents and Citizens Association
Assoc Professor (Dr) Susan Liew - Representing the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Road Trauma Committee - Co-spokesperson Victoria
Ray Shuey - Former Assistant Commissioner - Victoria Police (Traffic) - Co-spokesperson Victoria
Assoc Professor (Dr) Daryl Wall - Representing the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Road Trauma Committee - Spokesperson Queensland
Robert C Minter
Ken Crossman & Associates (Chartered Accountants)
The Pedestrian Council of Australia Limited is an Incorporated (Public) Company, limited by guarantee. It was incorporated on 1 August 1996. It is a non-profit organisation whose objectives, as stated in its Memorandum of Association are:
1. the continual improvement of pedestrian safety, amenity and access;
2. the promotion of walking as a legitimate transport mode and an important, healthy, social activity;
3. the encouragement of the inclusion of pedestrian safety, amenity and access provisions in all urban and transport planning;
4. the enhancement of community health and welfare and particularly the enhancement of the health and welfare of those members of the community who are aged, infirm, disabled, young, socially disadvantaged, tourists or included in any other special interest group or group of persons under any kind of handicap or disability; and
5. research (including experiments and surveys and their publication) into all aspects of the objects set out in 1, 2, 3 and 4.
A Pedestrian is defined as any person wishing to travel by foot, wheelchair or authorised electric scooter, throughout the community.
Membership of the Pedestrian Council of Australia Limited is by invitation of the Board of Directors to individuals and institutions having interests or concerns of like nature to those of the PCA.
The PCA's role is essentially one of education, advocacy and the promotion of a culture of concern and care within the whole community for the rights and responsibilities of pedestrians. Provision and infrastructure to meet the expectations of such a concerned community is properly the responsibility of the land use, transport and road authorities.