SAVE THE DATE
Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day
Friday 5 October 2018
17 SEPTEMBER 2018: Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day celebrates its 20th year on Friday 5 October 2018. The annual event encourages all workplaces to build regular walking into their daily routine.
Further information will dispatched shortly, please save Friday 5 October to your diary.
It's easy to get involved:
- If you can't walk all the way, use public transport and get off the bus, train, tram or ferry a few stops earlier and walk the rest of the way to work
- If you do need to drive, try to leave the car a kilometer or two from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
- Take a half-hour walk at lunchtime.
- Where possible use the stairs rather than escalators or the lift.
- If you sit at a desk, be sure to get up and walk around at least once every hour. Get up and talk to your colleagues instead of sending them emails
- Rather than holding meetings around a table, host a "walking workshop”.
- Workplaces can also Host a Healthy Breakfast for employees who take part.
- Raises awareness about diabetes and funds for Diabetes Australia
- Promotes regular walking as a healthy activity and reduces the incidence of type 2 diabetes (better physical, mental & social health)
- Reducing the reliance on the private motor vehicle (reduce car-dependency)
- Promoting and improving the use of public transport (less traffic)
- Improving air quality and environment by reducing unnecessary vehicle emissions
To support and participate in Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day, all work places are encouraged to raise awareness for Diabetes Australia. For more information, please visit walk.com.au.
Connect with us