Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day
Friday 6 October 2017
Now in its 19th year, Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day, on Friday 6 October 2017, is an annual event which helps employers and employees to build regular walking into their daily routine.
The objectives of Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day are:
- To raise funds for Diabetes Australia
- To promote regular walking as a healthy activity and reduce the incidence of type 2 diabetes (better physical, mental & social health)
- To reduce the reliance on the private motor vehicle (reduce car-dependency)
- To promote and improve the use of public transport (less traffic)
- To improve air quality by reducing unnecessary vehicle emissions (reduce global warming)
If you can't walk all the way, use public transport and get off the bus, train, tram or ferry a few stops earlier and walk the rest of the way to work.
If you need to drive, try to leave the car at least a kilometre from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
Take a half-hour walk at lunchtime.
Where possible use the stairs rather than escalators or the lift.
If you sit a lot at work, remember get up and walk around at least once every hour. Get up and talk to your colleagues instead of sending them emails.
- Instead of holding meetings sitting down, try to hold "walking workshops"
To support and participate in Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day, all employers and employees are encouraged to 'Register Now.'
CEOs and HR Managers are also encouraged to form teams and support the event at walk.com.au.
Management can also Host a Healthy Breakfast for those employees who take part.